Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Pumas Campeon!

As most of us already know, the Pumas won the Mexican Title this past Sunday. I have not been a Pumas fan for very long, but I will tell you that they have grown on me and they are my favorite futbol team from Mexico, and overall. I have watched all of their games this season leading up to the Finals and they blew me away. 

For those of you who don't know, the Pumas are a professional futbol team that are based in Mexico City. The Pumas represent UNAM, the National Autonomous University of Mexico. Olimpico Universtario Stadium is the Pumas home staduim in Mexico City near the UNAM campus. 
Part of the UNAM campus in D.F.
Olimpico Universitario Staduim

I have been to UNAM several times and it is one of the biggest campuses I have ever been to, between the US and Mexico. The campus is beatiful and has a lot to offer, good restarutants, amazing museums, beautiful parks and a lot more. If you are stopping in D.F. it is certainly somewhere you should check out.

Now, back to the Pumas! They won, they won, they won! Even though the win was two days ago, the celebrations are still going on. We went to the staduim the night before the game and everyone was camping out, playing music, dancing and partying. I think the Pumas have some of the most loyal fans in Mexican futbol.

I am definitely happy to say I am a Pumas fan and I am so glad I was in Mexico to help celebrate the victory. We were in Cuernavaca for the final game and for the celebration. When we arrived downtown after the game the streets were filled with Puma fans, everyone had on their Puma attire, flags, banners, and more. We all walked through the streets yelling Puma chants, honking obnoxiously at those passing by. Everyone was smiling and having an awesome time. It was really fun for me because in the US I have never been to a celebration that took over the entire downtown of a city just for the vicotory of a sport, not even the crazy Husker fans of American Football. The energy of the fans was astounding and really made way for a great day and night. It was a great victory and I am glad I got to experience it. I met a lot of die hard fans and they were some of the nicest and funniest people I have met in Cuernavaca. With crazy, fun fans like the Pumas, no wonder the Monarcas were hiding inside all day!! 

The end of the night got a little crazy, as I am sure you can imagine. It was a lot of fun and I cannot wait until the games begin again! GO PUMAS!

Goya! Goya! Cachun cachun ra ra! Cachun cachun ra ra! Goya! Universidad!!
Here are some photographs taken after the vicorty! Pumas Campeon! 







XOXO, 
A Pinche Puma Gringa
Follow me on Twitter @LaTortuturtle 

No comments:

Post a Comment