Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Dirty Fingers in the Subway

Image from InterZone

One of my first experiences in the Metro in Mexico City was pretty, well let's just say different. I don't remember where I was heading or why because the experience I had just erased everything else. First of all, I have been on the subway in NYC, and the L in Chicago, and neither were as packed as the Metro in DF (Distrito Federal, Mexico City for you other gringos). We walked down the stairs and bought our tickets, and when I saw the train arrive, I had no idea how the hell I was going to fit.

Once I shoved my way onto the train, I made sure I had all my things in sight because I was literally ass to ass with everyone, mostly old men. The last thing I needed was someone stealing my things, then I wouldn't only be a gringa lost in DF, but a poor gringa lost on the Metro. My friend and I could not stop laughing because it was ridiculous, we were packed into this train like sardines, and it smelled a little like them too. I wasn't afraid, just smooshed, and then it happened.

Right as I was ready to shove everyone out of my way to get off on my stop, there it was... some random persons fingers, right in my ass.  Now I would assume it is normal for someone to maybe grab my ass on that jam packed subway full of old smelly men looking to get some hand action. But this was not your normal hello from behind. I was shoving my way through the people and two fingers went straight into my ass.

When I was off the train, I told my friend what had happend and he said, 'oh don't worry, it's completely normal here in Mexico'. I was shocked, I wondered if that is normal, what else is 'normal' here that is not normal at home. Now, my Spanish is far from perfect, as well as my friends' English so there was a little confusion. But, I went on through with the rest of the day assuming that my dirty finger incident was nothing more than normal, I mean I was in a different country and it was my first time on the Metro so what more should I think. I was told that was normal. Later on in the night I was still thinking about that moment and really couldn't believe it was normal so I asked my friend again, but this time I took the liberty of showing him exactly what I meant. In that moment, he looked at me and couldn't believe that is what happened, and we both started laughing more than we ever had in our lives. He told me that was far from normal and he has never had that happen to him or any of his friends on the Metro. Of course, only this gringa would get the pleasure of having some strangers' dirty fingers in her ass on her first ride in the Metro. I must say I do have all the luck here.

It may have been one of the strangest experiences I have had here in the Metro, but it was definitely one of the funniest. From then on, I always make sure my butt is facing someone I know or the wall, and I suggest that is what you do as well. ;)


Photo from OutreachWorld



1 comment:

  1. The head of the metro is women-only. Same in the Metrobus. Why ? To avoid what just happened to you !

    ReplyDelete