Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Janitzio Smells Like Fish



Isla de Janitzio is located in the state of Michoacan, Mexico and is a little island in a big lake. To get to the island you have to take a shuttle boat. We got to the docks in the early evening and when we were getting our tickets we saw a group of drunk 'jovenes', young people, probably just turned 18. When we got on the boat we were the first people on, our boat was the Merida II and I am glad we didn't have to board the Titanic, let alone the Titanic II.  While we were waiting for everyone to board, the group of youngins came aboard. We wanted a romantic time alone on the island, well scratch that with all these kids here, getting crazy and playing kissing games. However, it did make me a little nostalgic and reminded me of when we played the same games when we were younger. By the end of the boat trip, we were making friends and taking photos for them, and I just wanted to drink with them and have a good time.




When we arrived on the island, I had just remembered that I had to finish my test for my online class, typical blonde behavior. Here we are on this amazing little island full of culture and new things, and I have to take my exam. Needless to say, my boyfriend and I were less than pleased. When I finished my test, which I aced by the way, we made our way up the crooked, narrow streets to the top of the island.

Walking up the streets in Janitzio.


When we arrived to the top, we decided that we owed ourselves some cool cervesas, Victoria is my favorite in Mexico. We walked over to the edge of a little cliff and looked over the entire island. While we were there a flock of what had to be thousands of birds migrating across the lake. It was really beautiful, even while we were dodging the bullets of bird shit that were raining down on us.


Here is a link of a video of the birds flying over us in Janitzio. The video was made by Chanfle Cerqueda for his 1000th tweet. Take a look below and follow him @ChanfleCerqueda on Twitter.




There was a giant statue and park on the top of the hill of Janitzio, and with my love for heights we decided to climb the statue. It may not look that high to you, but I guarantee you it is, especially for someone fearful of heights like my lovely boyfriend.
The statue of Jose Maria Morelos in Janitzio.
View of the sunset from the top of the staute.

Chanfle afraid to climb the rest of the stairs!

Swings in the park in Janitzio.

One of the best parts of Janitzio was trying the fish, or Kurucha Urhapiti. These fish are the main dish in Janitzio and they are caught in the lake that surrounds the little island. I had them as a snack on the street, they came fried and I added a little lime and hot sause. They were delicious, but my stomach disagreed with me later. Trying new things is one of the best parts about traveling.

The fish before they are cooked.


The fish before they were devoured.

All in all our trip was great, the island is small and one days trip is enough. We got to enjoy Janitzio, try new things, and meet new people. I would definitely recommend a trip there. The people are so nice and the atmosphere is great, the only thing is.. the place smells like fish, I am sure you can imagine why.


The docks while we were waiting to leave back to the mainland.

On the boat heading back, looking at Janitzio lit up in the night.



Thanks Janitzio,
A loving Gringa



No comments:

Post a Comment